Saturday 29 September 2012

Review: Maybelline Master Smoky

Master Smoky shadow pencil in Smoky Black/Smoky Chocolate & Maybelline Colossal Volum' Express Smoky Eyes Mascara
My first ever mascara was Maybelline Great Lash which I adored at the time, but since discovering that there is makeup beyond Maybelline, I've tended to neglect the brand, sometimes trying out the odd mascara which usually impresses me but I never follow through and give it any more attention. Recently I've seen the pairing of Maybelline Master Smoky shadow pencils and the Colossal Volum' Express Smoky Eyes Mascara everywhere and decided I had to give in and to see what all the hype was about.

I was really impressed with the mascara. I'm not sure I noticed the 'matte kohl look' it claims to provide but wasn't bothered by that. The mascara lengthens and darkens my lashes dramatically but I was disappointed with it's application. Although it does catch all the lashes well, including the bottom lashes, I find it started to go clumpy on a second application. I prefer my mascara's to be buildable so will have to consider whether I mind sacrificing that for the length and strong black it offers.

In all the campaigns I've noticed the shadow pencils have been used to create really dramatic dark eyes, and while I will try that for an evening look, I first used it solely on my top lash line to see the effect for a daytime makeup look. I was pleased with the result; the pencil glides on smoothly creating an intense saturated and pigmented line, and when smudged out with the smudge sponge on the opposite end, it does blur the harsh line creating a smoky effect. The only draw back for me is that the smudge sponge can tug at the eyelid if you're not gentle, but if you aren't firm enough the pencil doesn't smudge well...dilemma? For a subtle daytime look, I only used a small amount, but I'll be interested to see how it looks with more product used (I'll keep you posted!) I bought the pencil in both brown and black and personally think that brown will work best for everyday looks, and the black for strong dark evening eyes. For me the shadow pencils work best to simple enhance the mascara, in place of a typical eyeliner.

One coat of Maybelline Colossal Volum' Express Smoky Eyes Mascara with a little smudge of Master Smoky shadow pencil in Smoky Black
Maybelline Master Smoky shadow pencils and Colossal Volum' Express Smoky Eyes Mascara are available at Boots, Superdrug and other drugstores. Tell me if you have a different experience with either of them!

1 comment:

  1. Lovely eyes,i think the mascara really works.

    http://sarafashionocean.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete